Passengers holding China Southern Airlines tickets for two segments of a journey (within the same PNR and same-day transit) may request boarding passes and baggage to be checked for both segments at the departure airport. These passengers do not need to collect their baggage at the transit airport.
The one-ticket service is currently being trialed on the Tbilisi and Baku routes for international flights departing from other countries and transiting in Urumqi. However, passengers still need to collect their baggage for customs clearance by themselves.
Express Check-in Service
Passengers transferring to domestic flights in Urumqi who have not purchased a ticket for their next flight with China Southern Airlines (or whose two segments of their journey are not within the same PNR and therefore do not support the“one-ticket” service) can go to the China Southern Airlines’ Transfer Counter by baggage carousel number one in the arrivals hall of terminal three to collect their boarding passes and check in their baggage.
Express Boarding Service
Passengers transferring to domestic flights in Urumqi who are eligible to use the “one-ticket” service or have checked in at a China Southern Airlines transfer counter can take a China Southern Airlines transfer elevator to the arrivals hall where they can go through security checks before going directly to the departures hall. This saves both time and effort.
Transfer Lounge Service
The lounge for transit passengers is located next to the transit elevator at domestic arrival hall. Open from 8:00 to 20:00 every day, it provides drinks including tea and coffee, books and magazines, as well as free Wi-Fi. It also serves breakfast, lunch and dinner for medium and long-term transit passengers at 8:30, 13:30 and 19:00 every day, so that passengers with a transit time of more than 2 hours could wait for their flights comfortably.
One-on-one Service for First/Business Class Passengers
China Southern Airlines offers First/ Business Class passengers transferring in Urumqi "one-on-one" service, i.e. airlines staff are designated to pick passengers up at cabin door and guide their transfer.
Express Plane-to-Plane Service
Passengers with a transfer time shorter than the minimum connection time (MCT) will be greeted by transfer personnel at the cabin door and taken to their onward flights. The service is provided in the following four situations:
- 1. Domestic-to-domestic flight passengers: Passengers with a connection time that is between 30 and 50 minutes will be guided by transfer personnel to complete procedures and then taken to their boarding gate. If the passenger has any checked baggage, the transfer personnel will collect this baggage from under the aircraft and bring it to the onward flight, ensuring that the passenger and his/her baggage can arrive at the destination on the same flight whenever possible.
- 2. Domestic-to-international flight passengers: If the connection time is less than 100 minutes, transfer personnel will greet the passenger at the cabin door. If the passenger has any checked baggage, he/she needs to collect the baggage by himself/herself and proceed to the international departures hall to complete the check-in procedures. After this, the transfer personnel will help them to their boarding gate.
- 3. International-to-domestic flight passengers: If the connection time is less than 90 minutes, transfer personnel will greet the passenger at the cabin door. If the passenger has any checked baggage, he/she needs to collect the baggage himself/herself and then proceed to the domestic departures hall to complete the check-in procedures. After this, the transfer personnel will help the passenger to their boarding gate.
- 4. International-to-international flight passengers: If the connection time is less than 90 minutes, transfer personnel will greet the passenger at the cabin door. If the passenger has any checked baggage, he/she needs to collect the baggage by himself/herself and then proceed to the international departures hall to complete the check-in procedures. After this, the transfer personnel will help the passenger to their boarding gate. From 0:00 on February 28, international passengers entering China for the first time are required to register their irises at the Urumqi Public Security Office. The transit staff will assist the border inspection authority in guiding passengers for information collection.
Baggage Entrustment Service
From January 1, 2013, China Southern Airlines offers luggage entrustment service to passengers on domestic to domestic transfers in Urumqi with a transfer time less than MCT time.
The procedure is as follows:
- 1. For a passenger on domestic to domestic transfers in Urumqi with a transfer time less than MCT time, if his baggage cannot be found or there is not enough time for baggage picking, China Southern Airlines will consult the passenger and inform him that his baggage can be transported to the destination on the subsequent flight, and he has to pick up his baggage at the destination airport by himself. Upon agreement, they shall sign the Power of Attorney in triplicate (passenger, transit department, and baggage inquiry department holds one each) and leave his contact information.
- 2. After accompanying the passenger’s boarding, a transfer agent will return to the baggage carousel to pick up the baggage for the passenger and then hand over the baggage together with the Power of Attorney to the baggage inquiry department in Urumqi for the transportation by subsequent flight.
- 3. Afterwards, the transfer agent will contact the passenger through SMS to inform him of the subsequent flight number, the expected landing time, the baggage inquiry hotline at the destination and other details.
* Applicable only to passengers holding connected tickets of China Southern Airlines that transit in Urumqi, that is, the two segments must be in the same reservation code.
- 1. Passengers taking a China Southern Airlines flight, passengers taking a China Southern Airlines international codeshare flight, and passengers taking a China Southern Airlines domestic codeshare flight operated by Chongqing Airlines or XiamenAir that connects with a China Southern Airlines international flight or China Southern Airlines international codeshare flight.
- 2. Transfer time:
- International flights: Passengers for whom it will take no less than 8 hours and no more than 48 hours to transfer between international flights or between an international flight and a domestic flight;
- Domestic-domestic flights: Passengers for whom it will take no more than 24 hours to transfer from a domestic flight which is scheduled to arrive at 23:00 or later to another domestic flight which is scheduled to depart at 06:00 or later the next day.
Note: Domestic - Domestic codeshare flights are ineligible for accommodation.
- 1. VIP passengers, passengers who have booked seats in First Class/ Business Class on all domestic (international)-international (v.v.) connecting segments or the international segment only, and Sky Pearl Gold Card members are entitled to a Grade A partnered hotel of China Southern Airlines.
- 2. Passengers who have booked seats in First Class/ Business Class on the domestic segment only of domestic (international)-international (v.v.) connecting flights, and Sky Pearl Silver Card members on domestic (international)-international (v.v.) connecting flights are entitled to a Grade B partnered hotel of China Southern Airlines.
- 3. Other transfer passengers eligible for free accommodation are entitled to stay at a Grade C partnered hotel of China Southern Airlines.
- 4. A rewards ticket for connecting flights will be deemed an ordinary ticket, and passengers who travel with a rewards ticket for connecting flights will be provided with accommodation based on the category of the passenger and the class. Staff tickets and business tickets are not entitled to free accommodation whether a seat has been reserved or not.
- 5. Service content: A bed in a standard room for one night (including breakfast) and shuttle service between the terminal and the hotel are free of charge. Other services shall be at the expense of passengers, if any. The check-in time is subject to the rules of the hotel.
Flight Misconnection Accommodation
Where passengers fail to take the scheduled connecting flight due to the abnormality of the previous flight (both flights are operated by China Southern Airlines). After passengers meet the above connection time standard for free accommodation upon rescheduling, China Southern Airlines Transit Services at Urumqi will provide free accommodation, lodging, and an airport shuttle for the affected passengers.
- 1. Transit Service – Free Accommodation is a free service offered by China Southern Airlines and is not included in your ticket fare.
- 2. Free accommodation is not provided to passengers who are not in transit, where the two consecutive flights on the same ticket are considered a return flight.
- 3. Passengers who have booked a hotel for a transfer in Urumqi need to go to the transit accommodation counter after the arrival of the flight, and the counter staff will confirm the information about your stay and arrange for a free shuttle to the hotel.
- 4. When arriving on domestic flights, please check in at the transit accommodation counter next to Baggage Carousel 4 in the Domestic Arrivals Hall of T3. When arriving on international flights, please check in at the transit accommodation counter at the entrance to the International Arrivals Hall of T3.
- 5. According to the requirements of the public security authority of Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, all Chinese citizens must show their ID cards when checking in to hotel accommodation in Urumqi. Please make sure to bring the relevant documentation to avoid trouble checking in to the transit hotel. Please understand that some passengers may not be able to stay in Urumqi due to security reasons.
- 6. Transit accommodation hotline: 0991-3800215
Accommodation Booking Service
A group of 10 or more passengers may apply to China Southern Airlines Transit Services for group hotel reservation one day in advance. In such a situation, they need to send passenger names, arrival flight, arrival date, arrival time, connecting flight number, transit date, contact persons and phone numbers in a form by fax to 0991-3808877 – 9771 or email email@example.com. Then they need to call 0991-3800215 to confirm that the fax is received and get the reservation number. Once the reservation is successful, China Southern Airlines Transit Services will arrange reasonable accommodation for passengers in advance.
24-hour transfer service hotlines: 0991-3800215.