The following items cannot be contained in your checked or unchecked baggage nor as free carry-on baggage:
- 1. Dangerous goods.In accordance with the International Civil Aviation Organization's (ICAO) Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air and the International Air Transport Association's (IATA) Dangerous Goods Regulations, the following items are not permitted in carry-on or checked baggage as stipulated by China Southern Airlines:
- a. Explosives such as fireworks, firecrackers, ammunition, or security attaché cases, cash boxes and cash bags containing lithium batteries or pyrotechnic material;
- b. Gases, including flammable and non-flammable non-toxic gases, and toxic gases, such as compressed gases, liquefied gases, tear gas and pepper spray;
- c. Flammable liquids, such as alcohols, oil-based paints, and rubber cement;
- d. Flammable solids, combustible materials, and substances that emit flammable gases on contact with water, such as powdered magnesium and white and yellow phosphorous;
- e. Oxidizing materials and organic peroxides, such as bleaching powder and hydrogen peroxide;
- f. Toxic and infectious substances, such as lacquers, pesticides, heroin, and virus samples;
- g. Radioactive materials, such as radioactive isotopes and chemical reagents;
- h. Corrosive materials, such as acids, alkalis, wet batteries, and mercury;
- i. Miscellaneous hazardous materials and articles, including environmentally hazardous substances such as magnetic substances, irritants, articles liable to damage the aircraft, and defective lithium batteries recalled by the manufacturer.
- 2. Firearms, including airsoft guns, gun-shaped lighters and other assault weapons, ammunition, military ordnances, police gear (batons, tasers, etc.) and any replicas of the above items, and controlled knives; firearms and ammunition for hunting and sport are exempt.
- 3. Lithium battery-powered balance vehicles (lithium battery-powered manned single or multiple wheeled mobility tools, including but not limited to: monocycles, electric skateboards, hoverboards, Segways and other balance vehicles), including ones with batteries removed.
- 4. Odorous items (such as durian)
- 5. Live animals; guide dogs, hearing dogs, and other specified animals are exempt.
- 6. Items prohibited by the People's Republic of China or the relevant state laws and regulations regarding transportation to be brought in or transited through the country.
- 7. Items whose packaging, shape, weight, volume, or properties make them unfit for transportation.
Checked Baggage Restrictions
- 1. Fragile or easily damaged goods
- 2. Perishable goods
- 3. Cash and marketable tickets
- 4. Jewelry
- 5. Precious metals and products made from precious metals (gold and silver)
- 6. Antique calligraphy and paintings
- 7. Computers and personal electronic devices
- 8. Samples and other valuables
- 9. Mobile power banks, Samsung Galaxy Note 7
- 10. Important documents and information
- 11. Travel documents, medical certificates, and X-rays
- 12. Prescription medicines which need to be taken regularly
China Southern Airlines strictly limits the quantity and packaging requirements of the following goods when they are being transported. These goods may be checked in for transportation as baggage under the premise that they meet the transportation requirements of China Southern Airlines and are approved for transportation by China Southern Airlines.
- 1. Precise instruments and electric appliances must be checked in as goods and be properly packaged. The weight of such goods must not be included in a free baggage allowance if they are checked in as baggage.
- 2. Firearms and ammunition for hunting or sporting purposes may not be brought into the cabin as carry-on luggage. Firearms must be unloaded with the safety catch on and be properly packaged. Such firearms and ammunition must be transported in compliance with applicable laws, rules, and regulations set out by China Southern Airlines.
- 3. Drikold, beverages containing alcohol, and smoking sets, medicines, cosmetics, etc. required by passengers during travel.
- 4. Diplomatic pouches and confidential documents.
- 5. Sharp weapons and blunt instruments which are not controlled knives such as kitchen knives, table knives, fruit knives, arts and craft knives, scalpels, scissors, steel files, iron wimbles, axes, short staffs, and hammers etc. must be included in checked baggage for their transportation.
- 6. Small animals and service dogs which conform to transportation regulations and do not include aggressive dogs or short-nosed cats and canine animals.
- 7. Folded wheelchairs or electric-powered wheelchairs used by passengers during travel.
- 8. Liquid products carried by passengers.
- 9. Any goods which are not suitable to be transported in the cargo space of an aircraft (such as intricate musical instruments) and do not meet the applicable requirements (beyond the weight and volume limitations) must be carried onto the plane to occupy a seat. Transportation of such goods must be paid for, and owners are responsible for looking after such goods by themselves.
- 10. Any irregular sized baggage (not skis and sleds).
Gentle reminder: Due to safety reasons, please do not put spare lithium batteries, electronics containing lithium batteries, or portable power sources (power banks) in your luggage to ensure smooth transport of your checked baggage.